Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Merkin



Yo. I have been neglecting chug recently, but that tends to happen when life gets in the way. I just got back from the little мища / Bath Salts tour, which was really dope by the way. If anyone who was there reads this, then thanks for making it a really fun weekend and a worth while escape from reality. I'm going to try to pay more attention to chug, especially now that there are a shit ton of new releases out and I met a good bit of new bands recently, so the drought it seemingly over for the time being. Cheers all around.

Anyways, this is a post about Merkin. The band consists of three young ladies who reside in Idaho. The only reason I was made aware of this charming group was via keeping a casual eye on a girl who I had a tour crush on last summer when we were up in those parts. Regardless of my quasi creep factor (which I assure you is not the case, I am not creeping on her whatsoever) I was made aware of the band via posts and reposts by the girl mentioned above and mutual friends. Today at work looked it up while being bored out of my mind and got the url and stuff so when I came home, after eating bread I later found out was molding, I could check out their bandcamp.

This shit is really cool. Its funny, relaxed garage punk. The songs are somewhat silly, but the structure and composition shows talent and skill. Obviously this is not a "serious" project, but it does not negate how enjoyable it is. I appreciate light hearted music, especially when it makes me grin, which these songs did. There are songs about dragons and cats and stuff, which is dope. Basically this band is the definition of female garage rock. Somewhat abrasive, but mostly just fast and simple, these songs are really fun to listen to. I like how the songs are lo-fi, but not obnoxiously so. The vocals are really well done also.  My favorite song on the demo is "Enya's Revenge".

The demo was recorded at the Black With Sap basement, which is fucking awesome because I love those dudes. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet by the way. If you ever go up there get in touch with those dudes, and get Merkin to play your show. Check out their bandcamp and snag the album from them directly. Pay them money, even though you don't have to. Word.

***



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back, I love your blog !

Thank you

Anonymous said...

nice blog on Merkin!! love the sound!! thanks!